BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nyonya Laksa

Seriously nothing beats my Mom's laksa those who had tasted my mom's laksa will know that. Home cooked laksa alway the best cos you can always put more ingredients. Since I came here, Aunt's Laksa was close to Mom's but still different. So I decided to put my hand to it and treat my friends from China, some tried it before but some are total stranger to it. Nevertheless of cos they all enjoyed it.  A lesson learnt when I first time preparing the paste, I bumped into some problem. Well I bought my shallots some time back already and had been sitting on the table for a while therefore I decided to do up the paste like 4 days earlier. I called mom and she said was ok so I went ahead with it. When the day finally comes, the paste turn green so I suspect was the work of the garlic regardless of that I still went ahead cooking it. Even when I called mom , she had no idea too but I think I should have freeze it up instead. So yeah after all my effort pay off after I added the paste the colour of soup is yellow.

Ok since I have a powerful blender so I threw in everything including the lemon grass galangal.. I started to fry my paste and got to fry it till the paste is cooked or oil can be seen. After cooking for like 15mins, no oil seen so I added more and mix but still nothing. No giving up, I continue to cook for another 10mins and still no luck. Anyway the paste should be cooked already after 25mins therefore I took it out. Mom told me to make it more delicious should use prawn stock. The longer I cooked, slowly the oil appears. Alright then people check it out.

Ingredients:

  • 15-20 Shallots (Pounded)
  • 10 Cloves Garlic (Pounded)
  • 10-15  Deseeded Dry Chilli (Pounded)
  • 1/2 cm  Turmeric (Pounded)
  • 2 Lemon grass (Crushed)
  • 1 small piece Lankaus( Galangal) (Crushed)
  • 5-8 Buakras ( Candlenut) (Pounded)
  • 5gram dry shrimps (Pounded)
  • 1 Can coconut cream
  • 15-20 Prawns
  • 4-6 Cups Water ( Thickness)
Methods:
  1. Pound all the dry spices together to form a smooth paste.
  2. Add 3-4 tbsp of oil to fry the paste for 15mins or till the chilli oil is formed.
  3. Set it aside
  4. Pound the dry shrimps and fry it under low heat with no oil.
  5. Till the shrimps are dry and cooked. Add  some of the paste to it then cook for 5mins.
  6. Put it aside.
  7. Boil the prawns in a pot of water. Not to overcook the prawns
  8. Peel the prawns and boil the shells for another 5 mins.
  9. Scope it out then add the paste and the shrimps mixture.
  10. Allow it to boil then add the coconut cream, allow it to boil for a min
  11. Add salt to taste.
  12. Then the soup is ready.






                
Nyonya laska



0 comments: